Agricultural business, also known as agribusiness, is the farming, management, production, and marketing of agricultural commodities, such as livestock and crops. The agricultural business field includes resource management, farming, conservation, ranching, and sales
Lancaster County is well known for diverse agriculture. The Lancaster County Agriculture Council has highlighted the impact agribusiness has had in the county.
- Every $1 of products leaving Lancaster farms boosts our economy by approximately $6 - a value of $6 billion per year.
- More than 99% of Lancaster farms are family-owned.
- Lancaster’s farmland & culture are the primary reasons that 7 million tourists spend $1.6 billion per year in Lancaster.
- Ranked #1 in the U.S. with approximately 80,000 acres of preserved farmland in Lancaster, which represents 25% of Ag-zoned land.
- Ranked in the top 5 PA counties in 26 of the 28 products reported in the 2007 Census of Agriculture.
In order to continue the legacy of many Lancaster County agriculture businesses they must maintain a continuity of operations plan. This mitigates risks and helps to ensures their ability to continue providing the public with their needs despite a disruption.
Links for Agriculture:
- Livestock in Disasters
- Emergency Planning- Identify the purpose and components of an emergency operations plan.
If you need any assistance or have any questions regarding your organization’s continuity plans do not hesitate to reach out, our office provides on-site technical assistance.